Brad,
You hit the nail on the head, in the first paragraph.
If the update function (symbol and footprint) will not totally
update a part than why is it there. I never really thought
of it like Orcad's because they do some wierd stuff too.
I've heard out engineer slam the keyboard many times
when things don't "Update" properly in Orcad either.

As far as footprints go;
Yes all I'm saying is I expected the "Update Footprint"
function to,Yes, make sure the footprint in the pcb is
exactly what is now latest in the footprint library, or like you said
replace with virgin footprint from library.
Now it would be good to also have more controls if we have modified
those footprints/symbols etc to keep them as intended in a design.
If you want to use the term "Cache" parts as Orcad calls them
(or if you will "local to the design" parts) than I would offer that
those local parts (symbol/footprint) should be able to be updated to what is
currently
the latest version of the part in the library with all of the latest
data (or as you stated as if it was placed new from a library)
as the default way to operate, but still allow the ability to turn that
off and also contol the update criteria.

Just used to CAD systems that do a complete update
when an update type function is invoked. Unless there are
options to check/uncheck with respect to that update function.

Thank you very much for your outlook.
As more things seem different the more they are the same eh??
Bob Wolfe