Brad,
Just saw this post after I responded to your previous.
Well, here might be a simple explanation. Say you have a customer using
Orcad (pretty widely used Schematic tool) and the footprint field was not
what your library
had for names. Problem is that Protel takes
in an Orcad Schematic fine and creates all these great
symbols for you. I then take the symbols created and make a master Library
out of them of course with some edit for footpritn names etc to make a
proper library in Protel,
and next time a design come in I originaly thought
I could just update parts in cache on Schematic
to have it use these new footprint names well it don't
quite owrk that way. But really that is just one aspect of
the update functionality i have a problem with.

So basically from my standpoint if I update a symbol in the Schematic
based on what is in a library I would expect that symbol to be updated
with ALL of the data from a library, including its footprint data.
Right now that new footprint data is updated into the symbol
however that will not be the footprint placed on the PCB one need to
use that pull down list and actually change it on all unique parts to get
that to happen.
Same goes for footprints in a PCB.
Again I hope sere where I am coming from on this.

Protel in fact has provided the tools to accomplish all I am talking
about , it's just that there are way too many steps involved in the process,
seems to me it could be greatly simplified.

Bob Wolfe