Bob,
        it is funny sometimes how detailed explanations can actually show
that what we thought were different ideas or concepts are actually the same
or similar. You believe as I do that if I update the schematic symbol from
the library then it should come into the schematic as a virgin symbol, just
as if it was first entered to the schematic.  If it didn't then there was
little point in updating the symbol from the library. Igor's point about
schematic symbol maintenance is valid but in my experience/situation I do so
little of this that it is a non-issue to me.
        I think that through your explanation of your expectations, you
expected the Protel "Update Footprint" function to function more like an
Update Cached library option. That is a function that I believe used to be
(may still be) in OrCAD if my memory serves me correctly, right?

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Check out our fall promotion at www.norsat.com. Limited quantities. Sale
ends December 24, 2002.
Contact your Account Manager or call 1-800-NII-4LNB or email

<SNIP>