In a message dated 1/8/2003 7:53:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Disabling the network card when unplugged from the LAN stopped this.
> There used to be an option for disabling broadcast/receive for the
> licencing but the check boxes dissappeared in an early service pack but
> they are still in the client.ini
>
> Broadcast Access Code=True
> Receive Access Code=True
>
> I know in your work enviroment you will be connected all the time, but
> it sounds like exactly the same symptoms as I experienced.
>
> Try setting to false, assuming that the security manager will not just
> 'ignore' these settings as the check boxes, I assume, were removed for
> good reason.

I just tried it. 99SE starts up a bit quicker, but then I get the box
"searching network for floating licenses", so apparently they've also
disabled the ability to disable it through that means. I've been seeing
similar hangup of 5 seconds or so (W2K), and was hoping this was the answer.
But I'm solidly connected to the network (peer-to-peer), although some
stations may have been on when I last booted and be off now. It's really
annoying to have Protel interrupting my work all the time to check for
"piracy". So much so, in fact, that I'd be willing to try a "crack" if
anybody knows of one (off-list, please). I'm a one-man shop, and I don't
allow others to use my (fully legitimate) license. A bug which causes these
little interruptions smacks of crippleware - and I paid full price, so it
makes me pretty unhappy. Protel has shot themselves in the foot enough times
that I'm going to need a mighty compelling reason to upgrade (downgrade?) to
DXP, even if it were free. But there have been some glimmers of hope, so I
continue to monitor the DXP forum as well, and might explore an upgrade if
the news there ever indicates that DXP fully delivers on all the hype. Seems
quite unlikely, but I can dream, can't I?

Steve Hendrix