Jeff,
        are you using Windows Files system or the DDB database format for
your files? Is this even a P99SE question or possibly DXP?
I use the DDB database format and my Gerbers always export to the last set
(in preferences) directory location. If I never change it, it will always
generate the Gerber CAM directories within the same single directory
location. I am not sure what exactly you mean by a project directory, I
thought that was more of a DXP term.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer