Andrew,
        I was not advocating "dumbing down" the information supplied by
Windows. Simply augment it with something that means something more
meaningful without full technical knowledge of every processor revision and
change.
        When somebody on this list states they are experiencing a particular
problem on a certain processor based machine, I can't easily tell if it is
the same processor that I am currently running that doesn't exhibit the same
problem. Have you ever seen somebody go into a computer shop and order "I
would like an X86 family, Model 6, Stepping 5."? I bet you haven't. So where
is the issue in having the operating system identify the processor with a
meaningful non-technical/marketing name in addition to this technical
jargon? Why only supply the non-user friendly version. Does Intel use this
information on their website to compare different processors, NO! So why
should I be forced to deal with it by the operating system only supplying
this cryptic reference to the internal processor?
        As I had stated previously, I have searched Intel's (and
Microsoft's)website looking for a listing of these processor references.
Couldn't find anything and I am no internet neophyte, I usually find the
information I am looking for. I even read a significant chunk of a
programming manual on their site, I can tell you a lot about the hex code
the processor returns to a query of the processor type but nothing in the
way of chart listing these OS processor name conventions. If you can supply
a link to such a listing it would be much appreciated, obviously
Intel/Microsoft is making it too difficult to find this information on their
websites.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer