On 07:38 PM 13/02/2003 -0500, Mike Reagan said:
John
You are welcomed...but I should practice what I preach.   I have been using
this method with 99SE SP6 and have had flawless designs.   Ok until last
week ,  we got a board back with power and gnd were not connected to  the
input connector.    The original  ECO was a minor change, I imported a
netlist,  and since I knew what the ECO was,  made the quick changes.  Ran
DRCs and sent gerbers.     The problem was.....the footprint for the power
connector had duplicate pin numbers.  A second import of  a netlist in
Protel causes all of the pins to disconnect,  at third import will cause
only one of the pins to connect.  Every subsequent import will cause
differnet results . I already was aware of it but didnt see the connector.
This will not show up as an error when you import the netlist either.
Had I stuck with my fool proof method and not taken a shortcut  ( because I
made an assumption)   I wouldnt have had mud in my face.   Clear the
netlist, import the netlist , connect copper, run drcs .....100 percent of
the time and you will never have a problem.     So said the fool of the week
only because I made an assumption.

A solution to this issue, for some at least, is to use Update PCB (the synchronizer) rather than netlist load.

I know, Mike, that you get netlists often rather than P99SE sch so this is not always a solution, but the synch deals with the duplicate pins correctly, I think. I don't use duplicate pins (as it I don't like the risks), but I think others have stated that the sycnh is OK but netlist load has the oscillatory connect/disconnect behavior.

Ian