<snip>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] P99SE Sheet Symbol & Port connectivity across sheets.

> Sch design re-use in my experience has been very much on the basis of cut
> and paste and re-work as required.  Very much like re-use of software
> components.  The cost in making a design (software component) sufficiently
> flexible that it can be re-used without change, is often, not always mind,
> more that the cost in simply cutting and pasting the concept, design
basis,
> or even the bulk of the schematic - at least in my experience.

Ian - this is the first time I have seen a comment like this in years.  I
believe you have made a very important statement here.  Mine along the same
lines are ignored or disbelieved by almost everyone.

I have followed this thread with some interest as most of my Protel work is
with multiple sheet or specifically hierarchical organisation - often
involving 10 to 20 schematic sheets connected to a top-level sheet.  I have
tried to understand the vagaries of Protel's complex/simple and port
connectivity rule sets for YEARS and have made little progress.  I
invariably resort to tedious but reliable text output editing, standard file
copy and manual re-annotate methods to get the job done.

The bottom line for me is that Protel's hierarchical design topology is just
incompressible RUBBISH.  We can make it work but only by bypassing all the
utilities that should turn 5 hours of manual effort into a 5 second job.

There - I have said that which must not be said - again.

Regards to all,
Jim Parr