I found a surprising fix for my Protel's occasional LAN network pause &
hiccups.

I now use the firewall freeware version of ZoneAlarm on all of my PC on my
network.

-----------------------------
Background story:

    Discovered by accident, my internet connection went through a router
which was set up to block all WAN ports.  When my ISP went down for 2 days,
I happen to notice that Protel's network pauses disappeared.  When my
internet connection resumed, the problem came back.  Like a fool, I
demilitarized 1 PC on the network, and within 5 minutes, I received my first
pop-up ad.  No IE, or email running, just a blank Win2Kpro system after
booting.  Now, the network hiccups disappeared, but I was open to viruses &
everything.  Apparently when using my router's WAN port blocking, these
pop-up adds would cause the router to lockup, who know why???  With the
freeware version of zone alarm properly configured on all my PCs, all my
network issues disappeared, both with and without the router's WAN port
blocking.  My internet also seems much faster.

ZoneAlarm's web site -> www.zonelabs.com
ZoneAlarm's freeware version ->
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zadb_zadown

CAREFUL, not the trial version, the free version.  The trial version has 2-3
added features over the freeware version, but it will die, or you'll need to
pay for it.  The free version works indefinitely.

Brian Guralnick