Brian Guralnick wrote:

I'm designing a power supply with will have a large ripple current.  This
power supply will be on it's own PCB and it's 1 layer.  Am I better off
mounting high current rails, or, increasing the PCB copper thickness from
1oz to something like 4-6oz?

The power supply will be 90 vdc, continuous dc current of 4 amps, with
current surges & ripple current above 15 amps.

Check with your PCB vendor on how much the extra thickness of copper

will cost you. Then, compare with the rails, including the cost of having
the assemblers deal with it. If the 4 or 6 Oz foil will carry the current with
acceptable electrical characteristics, it sounds like the best solution, unless
the extra cost is prohibitive. My guess is the extra foil thickness will be
cheaper than all the extra handling to assemble the whole thing.

One other possibility is to make the board double sided, with 3 Oz foil
on each side. This will be easier for them to etch/plate, and paralleling the
high current traces on two layers gives the same resistance. I guess this
won't work if this is a thermal board to be bonded to a heat sink.

Jon