> internet connection resumed, the problem came back.  Like a fool, I
> demilitarized 1 PC on the network, and within 5 minutes, I received my
first
> pop-up ad.  No IE, or email running, just a blank Win2Kpro system after
> booting.  Now, the network hiccups disappeared, but I was open to viruses
&
> everything.  Apparently when using my router's WAN port blocking, these
> pop-up adds would cause the router to lockup, who know why???  With the

I have heard that the NET SEND commands (or something similarly named) in
NT-based versions of Windows can be a conduit for pop-up messages and all
sorts of nastiness.

I use a Linux server as my firewall/router.  For 3 years now (kernel upgrade
about 1 year ago), it works great, no hack-ins that I know of.  Linux can be
a bear to set up correctly, so I had it set up and configured by a local
Linux guru.  The only thing I have had to patch in 3 years was a security
vulnerability in OpenSSH, and one in Samba.  Both patches were applied
proactively.  The linux server also has Trend Antivirus for Linux (it's
free) which scans incoming e-mail automatically, and quarantines virus-laden
e-mail.  I already use Mozilla (blocks pop-ups) instead of IE, and someday I
will flush Outlook Express down the toilet when I find an easier, free
alternative (Mozilla Mail isn't it).

Sometimes I think the programmers at Microsoft must have spent the early
years of their careers in Super-Happy Fun Magical Fairyland Where Everyone
Loves You.  It seems that many of the "advances" and "nifty features" that
were developed by Microsoft were done without any suspicion that they could
be used for nefarious purposes (ActiveX controls, autoexecution of e-mail
attachments, HTML-encoded spam target verification, etc.), and would always
run on 100% reliable hardware.  To the latter point, why hasn't Microsoft
ever given away a memory test utility (such as the free memtest-86, it
rocks!) with each and every version of Windows?  I bet many of the crashes
in Windows are due to flaky, cheap, fire-sale clone hardware (I've seen this
even on expensive PCs too).

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

> I found a surprising fix for my Protel's occasional LAN network pause &
> hiccups.
>
> I now use the firewall freeware version of ZoneAlarm on all of my PC on my
> network.
>

> -----------------------------
> Background story:
>
>     Discovered by accident, my internet connection went through a router
> which was set up to block all WAN ports.  When my ISP went down for 2
days,
> I happen to notice that Protel's network pauses disappeared.  When my
> internet connection resumed, the problem came back.  Like a fool, I
> demilitarized 1 PC on the network, and within 5 minutes, I received my
first
> pop-up ad.  No IE, or email running, just a blank Win2Kpro system after
> booting.  Now, the network hiccups disappeared, but I was open to viruses
&
> everything.  Apparently when using my router's WAN port blocking, these
> pop-up adds would cause the router to lockup, who know why???  With the
> freeware version of zone alarm properly configured on all my PCs, all my
> network issues disappeared, both with and without the router's WAN port
> blocking.  My internet also seems much faster.
>
> ZoneAlarm's web site -> www.zonelabs.com
> ZoneAlarm's freeware version ->

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.js
p?lid=zadb_zadown