Ian Wilson wrote:

If I understand John E. correctly he is saying that if you have the conditions for an autojunction but you don't have the autojunction there (either autojunction is not enabled or you delete the junction), you may still have the connection in some circumstances. This is a pretty dangerous situation - it is interesting though that it has not come up a lot over the last 4 year.

As far as I know, it is not "some circumstances". If any wire segment ends anywhere on another wire segment,
they ARE connected, 100% of the time, whether there is a dot there or not.

Leaving autojunction enabled will help. At least then you may see stray connections - if you or a reviewer happens to notice them.

Well, you HAVE to look for them - it is important.

(DXP comment - DXP offers some help here. Firstly wire segments have little graphical details to show where they end. So if you do have two abutting wire segments you can see this little detail. Secondly, there is an option to optimise wires - this option will merge co-linear abutted line segments. This optimise option also offers a nice feature where is you drop a two wire component onto a wire the wire will be split into two nets at the two pins (you can drop in a series resistor, for example easily. As near as I can figure, after discussing this issue of merging line segments for years, the optimise function was added to DXP after I pointed out that you could draw a wire on a DXP sample schematic between two particular points and end up with stray auto-junction hot spots. I am not sure why but it seemed that the discussion in PEDA about this issue for years had not quite managed to make it into the required DXP feature list. Only after the problem was easily demonstrated in a Altium sample Sch did it become apparent why something should be done.)

Well, that's nice to know that DXP helps with this problem.

Jon