On 07:40 AM 4/09/2003, JaMi Smith said:
Joe,

Who says it has to be a "3mm thickness" (I think you may actually mean that
the trace has to be 3 mm wide)?

Is this requirement imposed on you by an Engineer, or is it some requirement
found in a datasheet for some specific circuit or device?

I would expect that the spec is wide uncalibrated current carrying traces with narrow current *sense* traces running off to the sense amplifier. This is a pretty standard sort of interface in high or precision voltage or current applications. You take a pair of sense traces to the load or sense resistor rather than using the uncalibrated high current traces for both current carrying and sensing. The 3mm width requirement would come from the expected current, while the thinner traces are used for the actual sensing. Very standard stuff.

(Many bench-top power supplies will have sense terminals that allow you to control the voltage at the load rather than at the supply terminals, there is usually weak feedback in the supply to ensure that the supply is controlled if the sense terminals are unconnected.)

The requirement is perfectly reasonable to me and I would either solve it by setting up from-tos and appropriate rules or by the Lomax Virtual short. In DXP it could be solved by a net tie component.

Ian