This is something I've complained about for a long time.  It boggles the mind that
"we" were able to come up with a standard Spice model format, and that it is supported
by vendors far and wide.  You can download models and run them with most spice
programs out there.

Yet there aren't any integrated libs available.  I would really *really* like to see a
standard built, probably using XML, that the vendors could use to build schematic and
footprint libs for their parts in.  EDA software could use those directly, or
translate to internal formats as needed.

The biggest complaint seems to be along the lines of "Oh don't trust the
Protel/Cadence/Whatever libs - they have bugs.  Build your own so you KNOW they're
right".  This would all go away, since the vendors would be providing the libs, and
you know they would be correct.  Or at least rapidly corrected :)

All it would really take is one vendor to start with a standard format, and one EDA
company to support it.  If it's an open and simple standard, the others would jump in
pretty quick I should think.  Being XML, it would be extensible, and different
programs could use or ignore various portions of the lib as needed.

Imagine, having a correct schematic symbol, a correct set of available footprints,
pins/ports with correct pin types, and even a link to a correct 3D model !  One day

Altium - this is an opportunity.  Take the lead.  Define the format, and don't exclude
other vendor requirements :)  Translate the libs to the new format, and send them to
the vendors.  Get them going.

--
Dean Carpenter
Principal Architect