What does the lack of an industry wide standard for component footprints
have to do with Altium? They are but one EDA vendor and there are certainly
orders of magnitude more component manufacturers than EDA vendors. The
"problems and unfriendliness" are prevalent and unique to each EDA vendor's
tool set. Having an interoperable library standard cannot be done in a
vacuum, and I don't think Altium can take the lead. They would need to form
a consortium of EDA vendors and I think they don't want to play ball
together. (It would be nice if the top 4 or 5 could join to develop this XML
or whatever based standard.)

I also don't think a parts vendor could/would do it. What's in it for them?
Why should they throw the resources at it? They will sell their parts
regardless...if people need those parts for a certain functionality. If
you're thinking "yeah that may be true for single sourced parts, but what
about multi sources parts?" then I would say those are nearly commodity
items anyway and there's no money in time spent making industry standard
libraries for them.

It probably needs to be some organization like the IEEE.