From: Carpenter, Dean [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 12:39 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Semiconducto rmfg Footprint creation

This is something I've complained about for a long time.  It boggles the
mind that "we" were able to come up with a standard Spice model format,
and that it is supported by vendors far and wide.  You can download
models and run them with most spice programs out there.

Yet there aren't any integrated libs available.  I would really *really*
like to see a standard built, probably using XML, that the vendors could
use to build schematic and footprint libs for their parts in.  EDA
software could use those directly, or translate to internal formats as
needed.

The biggest complaint seems to be along the lines of "Oh don't trust the
Protel/Cadence/Whatever libs - they have bugs.  Build your own so you
KNOW they're right".  This would all go away, since the vendors would be
providing the libs, and you know they would be correct.  Or at least
rapidly corrected :)

All it would really take is one vendor to start with a standard format,
and one EDA company to support it.  If it's an open and simple standard,
the others would jump in pretty quick I should think.  Being XML, it
would be extensible, and different programs could use or ignore various
portions of the lib as needed.

Imagine, having a correct schematic symbol, a correct set of available
footprints, pins/ports with correct pin types, and even a link to a
correct 3D model !  One day .....

Altium - this is an opportunity.  Take the lead.  Define the format, and
don't exclude other vendor requirements :)  Translate the libs to the
new format, and send them to the vendors.  Get them going.

--
Dean Carpenter
Principal Architect