Tony, Ian, Dennis, Leo, and the Forum,

Actually, I can not find the original post to this thread, so I will simply assume
that what is said that Tony wrote below is what was originally posted.

Actually, there is a brand spanking new Spec ("Standard") that will be released at
APEX in Anahiem California at the end of this month, that will deal exactly with the
problem of "Standard Libraries" and the associated problems such as "zero degrees of
rotation" for a Component Footprint (in the Libraries).

The Spec is IPC 7351, and there is a related spec which covers a "Neutral CAD
Database Format" for interchanging information contained in these Libraries between
different EDA/CAD Vendors, and that is IPC 2581.

A supposedly complete Library already exists for PAD's which can be downloaded for
free from www.pcblibraries.com , which supposedly already conforms to the relevant
specs.

There are actually some current specs that already cover some of the issues related
to "zero degrees of rotation" as it relates to a Pick and Place Machine. (yes, this
again, just what I have been asking for here in the forums for the last few years).

Some of these current industry standards can be found at JEDEC JEP95 for most IC
Packages, although about half of the packages in the proposed IPC 7351 Standard
Library by PCBLibraries.com have rotations that are inconsistant with the current
JEDEC JEP95 "Design Requirements" and "Standard Procedures and Practices" (SPP's)
portions of JEP95 (Section 4).

In addition to the JEDEC JEP95 Standard (which is primarily concerned with
"Registered" and "Standard" Device Outline Drawings), there is a specific Standard
which defines how not only IC's, but additionally resistors, capacitors, and other
devices, are to be packaged in "Tape and Reel" for Pick and Place machines. This
spec is EIA-481, and it has been around since the early 90's, and is currently
entitled ANSI/EIA-481-C 10/03.

There are in fact some contradictions here also between EIA-481with what
PCBLibraries.com has done so far, but effective this morning IPC is looking into
these disgrepencies, and they will be resolved before any "Standard Library" is
actually adopted by IPC.

The whole point here is that there will actually be an international standard that
is going to be released very shortly here that will in fact address this very issue,
and other related issues including the "database problem", and everyone, even
including Altium, will be expected to conform to the standard within a few years.

The ultimate Goal for the IPC Standards would be acceptance not only within the PCB
Design community but also within the Component Manufacturing community, such that
ultimately even Schematic Symbols would be standardized, and all components would
directly map to a specific Industry Standard Schematic Symbol and a Specific
Industry Standard Component Footprint, all freely available from the Component
Manufacturer in a "Neutral CAD Database Format", and that these "Standard Libraries"
would drive all of the Manufacturing Processes, such as Assembly and Testing.

Maybe Altium will be developing some new Library Component Wizards after all, once
the details of the new IPC 7351 and IPC 2581 specs are actually finalized.

JaMi