Dave C wrote:

Well, I forgot to mention that I am using Protel 99SE
w/SP6 version. I am sure DXP has tons of new nice
features and improvements, but it is out of the
question to get it for now.

Although this is a one time project, I have more than
a dozen identical sections, over 500 parts more or
less. I get tired just thinking I have to manually
rename all of these, not to mention how easy it will
be to make a mistake doing that.

Any other suggestions ??

There are ways to do this in 99SE.  The flatten hierarchy
function is part of it, but it does a rotten job of handling the
component designators, which most people want to do something
like R101, R201, R301 being the equivalent part in each section.
You can give each part a designator that is unique enough that
you can use it as a qualifier in a global replace on all sheets.
I usually don't get this all set up right the first (or second, third...)
time, but after a few tries I get it in such a shape that I can flatten
and renumber the sections the way I want.

You can also just duplicate the sheet that contains the section, and
then use a global edit to change the part designators as desired.
For instance, if you have the master sheet with RZ1,RZ2,QZ3, etc.
and then do a global edit on section sheet 3, you replace Z with
30, and you get R301,R302,Q303, etc.  I do LOTS of boards with
16 sections like this, where almost the entire board consists
of these sections, and 800+ components.

Jon