Pete,

  At the begginning of my project I struggled pretty
bad trying to use the schematics' complex hierarchy. I
finally "mastered" it after a while. To answer your
questions about the bus connectivity (the same
question I once had), look at the the following
thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Protel%3A+Complex+hierarchy+and+buses

Regarding the "Complex -> Simple hierarchy" isssue:
you first need to create the original copy of the
schematic you want to replicate, then, select the
file, right click on it -> Copy, then "Paste as
shortcut." Rename the shortcut, like DAC01, DAC02,
etc.. then in the schematics, you need to assign the
corresponding filename to each of your sheet symbols.
So, when you flatten, all of the shortcuts get
converted into a real file with the same contents as
the original one. From that point, these files are
completely independent. You'll need to go to "Tools->
annotate" to assign a designator to each of the parts.

So far up to that point, everything is so easy, but I
wish there was also a way to extend this complex
hierarchy method beyond the schematics and into the
PCB layout... back yo my original question. I have one
section where I have done the placement, routing,
vias, etc. I just need now to replicate this a dozen
times and assign the new copy to its corresponding
schematic file to rename the local nets. and
designators.

Any ideas. ?

Thanks.

David