> Respecting the issue of "too many trees" for Manuals, When I got my
initial Release
> of DXP, I got a manual that was just over 3/8" thick that was an absolute
joke (I am
> once again restraining myself to keep it clean here in the forum), that
was totally
> worthless, and very soon actually obsolete. I can accept the fact that
Altium did
> not want to print any manuals while they were trying to get their
collective DXP act
> together, but if they think that that time has come, and they have
actually decided
> to go ahead and print a "THICK manual" as Mike called it, then I do
believe that
> Altium "owes" one of these manuals to all of it's DXP customers, since it
never
> delivered a useable manual in the first place, and have been "begging off"
giving
> one to every DXP Licensee with various excuses over the last year and a
half now.

Oh, how I yearn for the old days, when software came with thick, well
written printed manuals.  If you're going to kill a tree, a thick well
written manual is a good reason to.  Besides, trees are a renewable
resource; just plant some more.  Petroleum is not a renewable resource, so
those made-from-petroleum CD's with PDF manuals on them are worse for the
environment than books are!  And if you don't like the big, thick manual,
toss it in the paper recycle bin!  I admit books are more expensive to
produce than CD's, but when I am plunking down nearly $10K for the software,
I think it's not going to affect their margin too much.

I've still got all the manuals from the DOS days:  Quatrro Pro 3.0,
WordPerfect 5.1, MS-DOS 3.3, 5.0, Windows 3.1, Borland C/C++ 3.0, etc.
Those manuals are the gold standard IMO, and I will preserve them as an
example to future generations of good technical writing.  That is, if future
generations can comprehend them - we may all be speaking Newspeak before
long (obligatory "1984" reference).  In Newspeak, software bugs will be
called "features", and reviews for software will be scored in terms of
"good", "goodgood", or "double plus good".  Software pricing will be
described in terms of "double plus low" (free), "lowlow", (low to medium
price levels) and "low" (all other price levels).  We won't be able to call
free software "free", because the concept of free and freedom is anathema to
the State, therefore the word "free" will no longer exist in the Newspeak
vocabulary.  The word "freedom" is, however, allowed to be used to oppose
it's concept, as in the chant "Freedom is slavery".  ;-)

As far as DXP/2004/Nanoboard or whatever-Altium-is-calling-it-this-week
goes, I am interested in hearing if any new and/or improved functionality is
present in it, and if said is worth the upgrade price.  And if upgraders
from 99SE get a new printed manual, which I think they should.  As usual,
the case that has to be made to me is "What are the new features and are
they really worth the price?".  Now, nobody on this list owes me these
answers, but if somebody wants to volunteer these answers, I would
appreciate the info.  And if anyone actually uses the new features and/or
Nanoboard (or whatever that is), could they please share their
opinions/experiences with it?  And please, no Newspeak...   ;-)

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com