> existing product in the areas that the existing users use, Protel has
> shot itself in the foot.  That would not have been so bad, except for
> the fact that their foot was in their mouth and the head stuck up their
> rear ends when they shot.

Let's see, the head is up in the rear end, the mouth is part of the head,
and the foot is in the mouth, therefore the foot is up in the rear end.  So,
the bullet had to penetrate the rear end and the head to reach the foot.
Shot in the head, butt, and foot with the same bullet.  Wow, that's one for
the record books!  The Warren Commission just called, they want their
"Single Bullet Theory" back.

As far as learning curves goes, I think it took me about a week to make the
leap from Protel 2.8 to 99SE (I skipped the versions inbetween).  The
biggest obstacle for me was to get used to the "project container" aspect of
99SE.  Of course, nowadays, it seems like every piece of software wants to
be your project container - you can't just operate on one file anymore.  I
think one of the reasons I skipped versions 3.X was that the printed manuals
seem to be written by software gurus FOR software gurus.  Lots of stuff
about servers:  here is how you call the OpenPcbFile method in the Pcb
server, etc.  I just want to design a schematic and PCB, guys.  That means
laying down lines of copper, not lines of code.  Anyway, I have a lot of
time invested in 99SE, so I will stick with it for a while longer unless
2004 has some "gotta have" feature for me.  Even though I will probably not
be buying 2004 anytime soon, I still hope it is satisfactory to those of you
that do, because the future of Altium (and my eventual upgrade path) will
depend on your satisfaction.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.