> I don't have Protel 2004 yet,  so I haven't seen what is required for
> activation.  Am I to understand that the new activation must be done
> on-line?  On the system Protel 2004 will be running on?

Every time I install some piece of software I suspect might "phone home", I
yank the ethernet plug first.  That way, if the installer can't get it's
authorization, I'll know it was sneaking out onto the net.  I start up the
software and run it for the first time with the plug still yanked, and see
if the software complains.

> Part of the reason I built my CAD system in the first place was to
separate
> it from the risks of my other gaming/e-mail/browser/on-line (Win98)
system.
> There were other reasons too - A faster system,  the move to W2K for DXP,
etc.
> But when I built my CAD system,  I very purposefully left it off-line *by
design*.

Good plan.

> All I need to tell me that I really *don't* want to go back to having
> my CAD system exposed to the 'Net is to look at the number of hits in
> the firewall logs (of the Win98 system),  and at the number of
Virus/Trogen
> /Spyware/Adware/malware programs that are out there now.  There are
> hundreds of firewall hits/hour.  How long would it be before something
> bad gets through?

No kidding!  It's astounding the amount of port scans that are going on.  I
remember about 5 years ago I might get 3 port scans a day.  Now, my cable
modem light is always blinking, and the Netgear firewall is dropping
malicious packets like crazy.  I've heard horror stories of people taking
their new PCs out of the box, turning them on, going on-line and within 30
seconds, BAM! they are infected.  At my father's house, their cable company
uses some kind of periodic ping polling to the cable modem.  The unfortunate
consequence is that it is impossible to distinguish the polling from
malicious port scans by looking at the blinking LED.  I talked him into
installing Norton Firewall last year, and later adding a Belkin firewall box
too.  I shudder to think what could have happened if he hadn't heeded my
advice (he runs NT4 at home).

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.