> Seriously though, don't install a bunch of crap on that PC or else the
boot
> time will grow horribly. (And it may not shut down properly...sort of like
> this WinXP box.)
>
> Tony

Things I've discovered concerning Shutdown & Outlook Express & Protel, and
QuartusII, v2.1 and above.

-----
1.   First stage of shutdown, "Saving your settings", mainly a Win2K
problem.

     If you just run Protel, or outlook express, you should not have a
problem getting through this stage of the shutdown.  Running both before
shutting down means a 25%-50% chance it will get stuck here for over 30
seconds & you will receive an unable to unload your registry type error in
your Event Viewer, Application.
-----
-----
2.  Second stage of shutdown, actual "Shutting down", both with Win2K &
WinXP.

     If you have installed QuartusII, v2.1 and above, it will add a 30 - 320
second pause at this stage.  You don't even need to run Quartus, just the
installation creates the problem.  The earlier Quartus v2.1 un-install
actually doesn't remove the problem.  The newer v2.3 and above will remove
the pause from the shutdown.  Though no error is generated, this pause is
created by the "Altera's JTAG Server". (p.... o. s...)  This is something
you have to live with if you want to use Quartus.
-----
You may fully QUOTE me on this and send this software problem issue to
Altera at:
https://mysupport.altera.com/eservice/login.asp

Brian Guralnick