From: "edsi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 5:47 AM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Router comparison

> Joe,
>
> I forgot to list why I prefer the ELECTRA router.  It simply protects the
"protects" better.

> By comparison, Spectra, lets say I have a fairly large board.
> I want select all remaining nets for routing.  I use SELECT FROMTO,
PROTECT ALL WIRES. If I know the names of busses, wires and nets that need
to be excluded from the FROMTO list, I create class called FORGET.  I
unselect class FORGET then I route.  Works ok as long as the class FORGET
contains every single little protected wire that needs excluded.  Many
designs I get from Orcad and PADS have names like $$$44042, N7309823,   I
don't know these from shinola and they get left off my FORGET class.  Even
thought they are protected,  SPECTRA will sometimes place stubs over these
which require clean up = time.

> ELECTRA protects these wires 100 percent.  At least I have not seen a
conflict yet.  Time = $$$ with me.  Even in clean up.   I might spend no
more than an hour reviewing routed boards from either Spectra or ELECTRA.
Generally, my review consists of running maximum  via counts on nets, to
reduce vias, and masking the nets individually to make sure they followed an
X, Y (manhattan)path and are not mouse mazing  over the board   I run the
netlist report to quickly review net lengths. This is a good feature, I can
see if something in a BUSS is out of whack.  If I have controlled Z, this is
already taken care of in my stack, layer assignment and rules driven
autorouting.

> Reply to Mr. Lomax comments
>
> In the scheme of things   8k for Protel and 3 K  is an 11K package.  Very
competitive against Cadence, Mentor, Orcad.  Protel will kick but with an
add on like ELECTRA.  Once you use one of these routers, you will be
insulted with Altium's router. It is night and day.