From: edsi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 2:44 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Router comparison

Good question Joe

I plan to phase out my usage with Spectra, Since I have an older version,
with not quite all the bells and whistles.  Alot of the "bells" in Spectra
dont work any way.  What I have found is ...SPECTRA like all the other
routers were written 20 years ago. Spectra has not kept  up with the latest
footprint technology. Spectra has a difficult time keeping bundled busses
together.  Has problems fanning out ( Advantage goes to ELECTRA for fanout,
but I use pre fanned parts)    Dont get me wrong SPECTRA  is ....the best
router on the market at any price.
ELECTRA is a newcomer. I have been using it with great success and the
enginnering department at ELECTRA is in tune with its users.  They are
receptive to inputs and will turn a suggetion around fairly quickly.  Give
this company time,  they will be a major player in the CAE market.

You guys need to plunk 3 K down and purchase the ELECTRA router. Then  learn
to use it. I never like to hear "WE ALWAYS ROUTE BY HAND". That  tells me
you are designing small boards, or dont know how to use a router.  or you
are simply farming out a design that should take you about half the time.
Dont just hit GO and expect a rotuer to work.  I might spend days thinking
about routing stategies.   I  spend days tuning parts to open channels.  I
might make several passes, and adjust my rules.    Rules driven routing can
control vias, number of vias, line lengths, pairing, layers line widths, and
spacing.  Routers work!

And yes I am finally becoming an expert at something....it may be auto
routing

Mike Reagan