EM waves don't care what it looks like

From: "Tony Karavidas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Router comparison
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:41:32 -0700

But do you spend 'days' each time you do a board? I rather just route the
board by hand for 'days' and have it look the way I want it to look.

I've tried using autorouters and after a while I just say f**k it, and route
by hand. They always look 'auto routed', busses seem to not stay together,
etc.

I am about a week into my Electra trial, and it got a current board to 100%
with no violations, but it looks like hell. I would have so much clean up, I
rather just route the board by hand...again. I am trying different
instructions in the DO file, and maybe that will help.

Tony

-----Original Message----- From: edsi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 2:44 PM To: Protel EDA Forum Subject: Re: [PEDA] Router comparison

Good question Joe

I plan to phase out my usage with Spectra, Since I have an older version,
with not quite all the bells and whistles.  Alot of the "bells" in Spectra
dont work any way.  What I have found is ...SPECTRA like all the other
routers were written 20 years ago. Spectra has not kept  up with the latest
footprint technology. Spectra has a difficult time keeping bundled busses
together.  Has problems fanning out ( Advantage goes to ELECTRA for fanout,
but I use pre fanned parts)    Dont get me wrong SPECTRA  is ....the best
router on the market at any price.
ELECTRA is a newcomer. I have been using it with great success and the
enginnering department at ELECTRA is in tune with its users.  They are
receptive to inputs and will turn a suggetion around fairly quickly.  Give
this company time,  they will be a major player in the CAE market.

You guys need to plunk 3 K down and purchase the ELECTRA router. Then learn
to use it. I never like to hear "WE ALWAYS ROUTE BY HAND". That tells me
you are designing small boards, or dont know how to use a router. or you
are simply farming out a design that should take you about half the time.
Dont just hit GO and expect a rotuer to work. I might spend days thinking
about routing stategies. I spend days tuning parts to open channels. I
might make several passes, and adjust my rules. Rules driven routing can
control vias, number of vias, line lengths, pairing, layers line widths, and
spacing. Routers work!

And yes I am finally becoming an expert at something....it may be auto routing

Mike Reagan