Tony

> But do you spend 'days' each time you do a board? I rather just route the
> board by hand for 'days' and have it look the way I want it to look.
 Tony,  I spend day on what would otherwise might be months.  You shouldnt manually
route 2000 components.  Because there is no smart fannout algorithim in Spectra or
Electra,  I used prefanned patterns.  I have posted this a while ago.  The pattern are
also rule driven to allow for routing channels.  I have tried some do file for fan out
but the results are not as good.  I get close to 100  percent routing in very little
CPU time

> I've tried using autorouters and after a while I just say f**k it, and route
> by hand. They always look 'auto routed', busses seem to not stay together,
This is major misconception, that busses should follow each other..... Maintaining the
same topography and wire lengths are important.  Routing and Wrapping  busses togehter
invites crosstalk  I see this all of the time...on noisey boards/
> etc.
>
> I am about a week into my Electra trial, and it got a current board to 100%> with no
> violations, but it looks like hell.

It looks like hell because, you have to understand the how an autorouter behaves.
The shortest path for any route is  a straight line, the autorouter's algorithm is a
manhattan path.  If you can get the the router to run diagonal then horizontal, then
the router is working properly.   If you get all of your lines on each layer running
in the same direction, you are routing correctly.  I call it my "stick" theory.  Drop
some sticks on the floor,  at random they occupy the most space.   Placed adjacent to
each other, they occupy the least amount of space. If your routes are running in the
same direction, it should be very efficient

 >I would have so much clean up,

I rarely have any clean up except for reviewing high speed and signal integrity
issues.   ie mentioned last posting,  I review lenghts, and via counts.  The via count
also tells me if the the manhattan path was followed.   On any two nodes I expect 3
vias max.  Start, turn and terminate.

> rather just route the board by hand...again. I am trying different
> instructions in the DO file, and maybe that will help.

It gets more complicated than that,  you may have to place boards on a router several
times.  For instance I have a design right now that I can see very strong sets of
Horiz and Vertical ratsnest.  I am selecting busses to route Horz,  reviewing it then
I select only Vertical routing.  Rotuting  begins at placement, isuring that routing
channels are always open

There is a misconception in this industry that autorouters are not up to the task.  If
you want to route every thing on the top layer,  specify the top layer, with no vias.
You might be surprized at the results.

Mike Reagan
EDSI
From: "Tony Karavidas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>