Hi Ian,

Thanks.  Problem solved.  So for the record.  Here's what Protel Client99SE does.  It
hard codes the
X,Y position of the floating tool bars and sizes the client window to fit the position
of the bars.
So if the PCB Component placement floating tool bar was set at say 1030,600 then the
client window
is set to 1030+width of the tool bar, 600 + height of the tool bar.  On a system that
has a
MaxClientWindow of 1024 (available from Windows operating system) the tool bar will
now show up but
Protel will pretend it can in its virtual window.  In this case the Bottom scroll bar
won't show up.

And if a schematic 'floating' bar is set at a 800,900 the same thing happens but the
RH scroll bar
won't show up (nor of course the floating tool bar).

Fixing the bars doesn't do any good because they probably end up fixed to the lower
edges and so
Protel still creates the larger virtual window.

The solution is to edit the Client99SE.rcs file and search for 'floating' and ensure
that each pair
of co-ordinates are well within the new screen size.

All Protel has to do is verify this automatically with MaxClientWindow and move the
floating bars
inward the first time it's loaded in a smaller screen size.  It's a bug.  Not one seen
very often
and probably exists in the $3995 bug fix called Protel DXP.

Don't know if you remember a similar bug where if a number of objects were selected
and then moved,
an object could be moved off the schematic page.  Then if all objects are deselected,
the one off
the schematic page stays there but you can't get at it anymore since the cursor is
clipped at the
page boundaries.  The interim solution for that one was to select all,  and then
deselect everything
inside the document and then delete all selected items.  I think the fix for that bug
was only $1000
for an upgrade to a new and improved version.  I think it took two new and improved
versions rather
than free service packs to fix it.

Anyway,  Thanks for the suggestion to look in the rcs file.  Hadn't thought of that
one and the ini
file just had the absolute 4 corner co-ordinates of the main window.

John

Wireless CAN with the CANRF module now available.
http://www.autoartisans.com/products
Automation Artisans Inc.
Ph. 1 250 544 4950