Ian Wilson wrote:

Do the lines to be separated differ in any consistent fashion? (width would be the obvious one). If so then it should not be too hard to write a server that iterates over all components in the Lib and then scans all the primitives looking for those that meet the requirement to be moved.

This is exactly the situation I found myself in when we moved to Protel. We had plenty of specific footprints in Racal Redac's MaxiPC (now Zucken) mostly created by me and I didn't want to recreate them manually in Protel. In MaxiPC there were specific layers (Outline0 .. Outline7) used for different kinds of component outline. E.g. Outline0 - rectangular box surrounding all component entities (usually 5 mils wide), then Outline1 or Outline1+Outline2 - "real" component's silkscreen (8 to 12 mils wide). After converting the library to Protel (different long story) they all landed on the same layer - TopOverlay, the only parameter differentiating them was line thickness. I didn't even need a special server to deal with the problem (I didn't know how to write one those days). I used "Library Viewer" server to place all components on a pcb so I could export them to ASCII. Then I was able to change the layer from TopOverlay to say Mechanical1 for those tracks and arcs that were 5 mils wide only. The rest was easy - import back to pcb, make pcb library. A little complicated process, more interactive than automatic, but "global"

Tom,
With my little experience with converting libraries I 100% support Ian's
idea - find or make ANY single parameter that will differentiate the two
outlines. The rest will be easy.
The other idea would be to ask Altium to improve their translator.

Wojciech Oborski