> Hi JJ,
>
> My PC has 10 USB Bus's.
> My keyboard and mouse are on bus 10, which is PCI device XXXX.XX.X and I
> left that one on Dom0.

Are they 10 separate PCI devices, 10 separate USB buses?

I'd be very surprised if that were the case.  But also very impressed, and
wanting such a motherboard for myself.  It'd be awesome for Qubes.

But it's more likely that it's a single USB controller with 10 ports.

If you do a "lspci" do you see 10 different USB PCI devices?  (Well, it
would probably be 20, as each USB bus usually shows up with a USB 1.1 and
a USB 2.0 version.)

Or does "lspci" just show two USB PCI devices (one 1.1, and one 2.0)?

The USB PCI device can have 10 *ports*, and still just be one PCI device,
assignable to only a single Qubes VM.

I have 8 ports (well, 6 after blowing 2 of them on some projects, but
that's another story), which are handled by a single USB PCI device (which
has two presences, one for 1.1 (ohci), one for 2.0 (ehci).

(I'm rather impressed that the single controller let me blow two ports,
while keeping the others alive.  Nice isolation, NVIDIA!):

# lspci
00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 1.1 Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 USB 2.0 Controller (rev a3)

"lsusb -t" is also telling:

# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-pci/8p, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/8p, 480M
    |__ Port 4: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, xxxM
    |__ Port 6: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, xxxM
    |__ Port 7: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, xxxM
    |__ Port 8: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, xxxM

USB ports are not the same as USB PCI devices/busses.  And the only reason
you see two Bus's in both cases above, is because it's a USB 1.1 and USB
2.0 presence of the same single USB controller.

It *may* be possible to assign the 2.0 controller instance (fast hard
drives, thumb drives, etc.) to a given VM, while keeping the slower 1.1
HID instance (keyboard, mouse) in dom0, but I wouldn't count on it.  (I
might try that when I get a chance.)

We'd possibly need Andrew or Merek or some other Qubes expert to answer that.

Just get your keyboard/mouse onto PS/2, and then things get a lot simpler
to figure out.

> However I now have another issue...
>
> "Error starting VM 'sys-usb': Requested operation is not valid: PCI device
> 0000:00:1a.0 is in use by driver xenlight, domain sys-usb"
>
> What does this mean?
> It does this for each PCI device. I have removed them 1 by 1 just to
> verify.
>
> Why won't it just assign the device?

Perhaps because you really only have one USB PCI device/bus, and because
two of the ports are tied up in dom0 with your USB keyboard/mouse it wants
to (out of necessity) control them all (well, the one USB controller,
really) and won't let you assign individual ports on the common USB PCI
bus to different VM's??

I've never seen that error, so I'm just guessing; that's a question for
the Qubes dev experts.

I'm actually still running my boot/root drive off of USB until an imminent
reinstall (with btrfs root, yay!), so I'm a bit of a hypocrite singing the
praises of USB VM isolation.  As long as my boot/root is on USB, I can't
create a USB VM, despite having a PS/2 keyboard/mouse.  Soon...  Soon...

Cheers

JJ