On Wednesday, 28.09.2016 at 01:06 -0700, Drew White wrote:

> On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 17:47:01 UTC+10, Foppe de Haan  wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:20:29 AM UTC+2, Drew White
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Devs,
> > >
> > > I would like to know from a dev what the requirements are for
> > > Qubes Windows Tools (QWT).
> > >
> > > All O/S reference are known to be x86_64.
> > >
> > > Does QWT require any specific version of Windows 7?  Or will they
> > > work with all versions of Windows 7?
> > covered here: all.  https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/
>
> Doesn't even BEGIN to answer the question.

It *completely* answers your question.  In the first line: "Only 64-bit
Windows 7 (any edition) is supported".  So you need Windows 7 64-bit,
but the edition doesn't matter (e.g. Home, Enterprise, whatever).

> > > Why does QWT require TESTSIGNING to be turned on?  Is that because
> > > Win7 requires things to be signed?
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/ "Before proceeding with
> > the installation we need to disable Windows mechanism that allows
> > only signed drivers to be installed, because currently (beta
> > releases) the drivers we provide as part of the Windows Tools are
> > not digitally signed with a publicly recognizable certificate."
>
> Still doesn't answer that question either.
>
> I said "hi devs" because I needed someone with the knowledge of WHY,
> not just an end user reason, but a dev description that is technical.

Again, that really *does* answer your question.  Windows 7 requires
drivers to be signed by a recognised certificate.  The Qubes Tools
drivers are *not* signed by a recognised certificate, so to make them
work one needs to toggle the TESTSIGNING flag so that Windows 7 no
longer cares about their certificates.

> [...]
>
> So please, refrain from answering my questions with details that don't
> answer anything. If the website had the information, I would not be
> asking.

It sounds like the web site *does* include the information, you failed
to find it (or didn't look), someone answered by pointing you at the
right information and you merely insulted them in reply.  Glad to see
you're still trolling here, Drew... :-/

Dave.

- --
Dave Ewart da...@sungate.co.uk, http://twitter.com/DaveEwart
All email from me is digitally signed, http://www.sungate.co.uk/
GPG key updated Jan 2013 see http://www.sungate.co.uk/gpg
Fingerprint: CF3A 93EF 01E6 16C5 AE7A  1D27 45E1 E473 378B B197