On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 18:33:25 UTC+10, Dave Ewart  wrote:

> On Wednesday, 28.09.2016 at 01:06 -0700, Drew White wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 17:47:01 UTC+10, Foppe de Haan  wrote:

> > > covered here: all.  https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/
> >
> > Doesn't even BEGIN to answer the question.
>
> It *completely* answers your question.  In the first line: "Only 64-bit
> Windows 7 (any edition) is supported".  So you need Windows 7 64-bit,
> but the edition doesn't matter (e.g. Home, Enterprise, whatever).

I said VERSION, not EDITION.

> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/ "Before proceeding with
> > > the installation we need to disable Windows mechanism that allows
> > > only signed drivers to be installed, because currently (beta
> > > releases) the drivers we provide as part of the Windows Tools are
> > > not digitally signed with a publicly recognizable certificate."
> >
> > Still doesn't answer that question either.
> >
> > I said "hi devs" because I needed someone with the knowledge of WHY,
> > not just an end user reason, but a dev description that is technical.
>
> Again, that really *does* answer your question.  Windows 7 requires
> drivers to be signed by a recognised certificate.  The Qubes Tools
> drivers are *not* signed by a recognised certificate, so to make them
> work one needs to toggle the TESTSIGNING flag so that Windows 7 no
> longer cares about their certificates.

Okay, it seems you can't understand a simple questions so I will rectify it to
be more the way I would have normally asked it before I started asking the
questions in a way that more people can understand, again, you are not a dev...

Why do you need testsigning on when you can easily get a certificate for
signing your software when people could intercept with unsigned software that
will cause harm instead of goo and cause that guest machine to be infected and
mean that qubes wasn't doing things right security wise?

Does that better clarify the question that I'm asking as to the WHY?

> > [...]
> >
> > So please, refrain from answering my questions with details that don't
> > answer anything. If the website had the information, I would not be
> > asking.
>
> It sounds like the web site *does* include the information, you failed
> to find it (or didn't look), someone answered by pointing you at the
> right information and you merely insulted them in reply.  Glad to see
> you're still trolling here, Drew... :-/

If you read my current reply, you will see that it doesn't answer the
question(s)