after having problems to install Qubes on my X200 I have installed 4rc1
on my other laptop (Lenovo W540). Installation was sucessfull and the
only tweak I needed was to remove iommu=no-igfx from grub boot.
I have uses Qubes 4rc1 now for ~2,5 hours, my feedback so far:
* in Qubes 3.2 the whole system froozes for a few seconds when a new
VM was started.
In Qubes 4rc1 this seems to be solved.
list of things that might need improvement, meant as constructive
feedback - of course I am very thanksfull to the work of the Qubes Team.
* when launching an application from the start menu I would like to
see a notification about the user interaction. Currently nothing
happens, if the new apps needs a few seconds to start the user might
* Notifications - I haven't seen any notifications at all, like
starting/stopping of VMs or when a new USB-device has been attached.
Would like to see the notification from Qubes 3.2 in Qubes 4
* After setting up various AppVMs, working with templates, I feel that
Qubes Manager is definitly missing as it allowed me to have a quick
look, what is currently running and also attaching block devices was
If I plugin an USB harddrive I see no notification and I need to
attach devices via terminal, to much user interactions, compared to
a graphical solution
* Positioning of Blockdevice and Running VMs widgets:
I see my self moving the mouse from left to right a lot, just to
start programs and get information (from the widgets) - again Qubes
Manager was much more comfortable.
Is it possible to have something like a desktop widget, showing all
* IDEA "QuickstartBar": Could we get something like a shortcut so that
a launch bar will open up, where I can enter either bash commands or
something like: untrusted:firefox and then Firefox opens in my AppVM
named untrusted (general syntax: AppVM:Command/Program? task
completion would even be easier?
* The AppVM widget is only showing sys-usb, sys-net, sys-firewall, not
other AppVMs which are running.
* In the "Start Menu" (left side) I would like to additional commands
like (Start VM, Shutdown VM, Remove VM) maybe separated or at the
beginning or end of the menu?
Remove VM should of cause show a dialog which needs further user
* The "Create Qubes VM" menu entry could also be enhanced so that we
have the option to create a clone from an existing VM. Maybe via
something like an additional option "Clone from <LIST>"
* It seems impossible to hide VMs or VM-templates from the "Start
Menu", whoch could be done via qvm-prefs in Qubes 3.2. Why? This
setting was very usefull.
* Working with USB devices: Could we improve the handling of usb
devices. Currently it seems that it is impossible to add a
usb-device to a VM without touching the terminal.
Maybe we need an usb widget or a submenu in the USB-App-VM?
From user perspective I would like to get a notification popup as
soon as I attach something to my laptop, then allowing me to choose
with the next click where to attach this device to.
If I am attaching a device it is most time because I need to get
this device into an AppVM.
* Fonts/Display Resolution seems to be different compared to Qubes 3.2.
My Laptop has a 3K resolution 2880x1620 Pixels. In 4rc1 the qubes
window frames (which seems to be rendered in dom0) are small, but
the content in the window (content of the AppVM) is using a bigger
How can this be resolved?
* qvm-top ... seems to be gone, how can I quickly get a list of all
something like: qvm-ls --running
* Copy & Paste between AppVMs:
I now have to enter the name of the target AppVM when pasting via
global clipboard (Shift+Ctrl+V). While this adds more security, it
is a pain for the user, when copying a lot. Could it make possible
to have the option to get a slightly easier copy&paste process:
the current appvm, to which the window belongs is already selected
in the list of the target VM.
If the user hits Enter two (!) times, the content of clipboard would
be pasted into this AppVM clipboard.
Benefit: additional security as not content will be copied by
coincident (you need to press Enter twice) but easier copy & paste
process when copying lots of entries between two AppVms.
* Backup and Restore of VMs should be possible via GUI not only per
feedback so far, I continue to test.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.