On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 2:07:44 PM UTC, cooloutac wrote:
> On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 12:48:29 PM UTC-4, yura...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Unlike secure boot, aem does not stop a compromise, only notifies you of
> > > a change which might indicate a compromise has happened,  which basically
> > > is a prompt to buy a new pc.
> > >
> > > Reading posts on the forums tells me it can be buggy and false alarms
> > > happen though.
> > >
> > > Intel says you need 3 things for the best boot protection.  Secure boot,
> > > trusted boot, and measured boot.   I'm a total noob but I believe aem
> > > falls into trusted boot category?  So I wonder if its possible to use
> > > both?  And I have no idea what measured boot is.
> > >
> > > Another thing to consider is that if you use a usb key, which makes most
> > > sense to use with aem, then you can't use a sys-usb at the same time. So
> > > it depends on your threat model and how you use your system.  Someone
> > > might have to correct me on this but I believe this to be the case.
> >
> > Well yeah, most people with resources and knowhow to attack the BIOS/UEFI
> > are governments. If you become a target of those, you really need to watch
> > your step, in all liklihood, most if not all, would eventually get caught
> > if they repeatedly appear on the internet with something that can tie them
> > detection, or vulnerabilities to use against your system.
> >
> > I don't think we need to worry about regular and everyday hackers meaning
> > to do harm, after all, these attacks are mostly only worth it on high
> > profile people.
> >
> > ALso in your scenario, BIOS/UEFI is still closed source firmware. It can be
> > backdoored, and backdoors can be used by others than the creators. But it
> > remains a fact (for now at least), that only groups with a lot of
> > resources, can use these attacks, and they will only invest it into high
> > target profile people.
> >
> > Regarding the USB while Qubes isn't booted, that is a really good point.
> > I've been thinking about that too, maybe create our own USB with open
> > source firmware which can be hash value verified after it is turned into a
> > binary package sitting on the USB sticker. But my knowledge is too limited
> > to say for sure if this is possible, but it's worth studying more. There
> > are some tools out there already as it is, but it's a bit cumberstone and
> > "do it yourself".
> > Albeit for now, these USB attacks appear to be exotic and rare enough to
> > ignore for low profile targets (for now).
> >
> > However AEM should detect changes between reboots at least.
>
> This aint the 90s anymore.  low level actors have become equal to state
> level.  Its probably partly why nsa built prism, only way they could one up
> them. 90% of ddos sites are run by 15 year olds.   2005 saw a dramatic
> increase, but 2012 was a real turning point, we are in an epidemic now.
>
> I was complaining about bios exploits 10 years ago and people were lying to
> themselves then, nothing has changed.
>
> And if you are worried about the gov't spying on you.  Don't do anything
> [...]

Listen, you're not reading what I'm saying, especially across multiple of posts
in this thread. Also there is a very, very thin line between fear and anxiety.
I'm not planning to live a life of concerns through anxiety, I live a life with
concerns through real fear from real threats. Fear is rationalized and real,
while anxiety is based on baseless emotions which swallow you up. I'm
pragmatic, I do what can be done now, I do not want to live in anxiety, or bash
words around aimlessly. Things has to be done, and not just talking about it.

Security and privacy has always been a concern of real fear for me, especially
with democracy rotting away slowly, year by year, which is made worse by
technology that is increasingly, and slowly ever more so, being used against
people. The fall of democracy, is what worries me, especially with the
technology that can be used to either protect it, or destroy it.

I worry about the future. I do not worry much about the past, like the 90s
repeating itself, rather new threats have the risk of emerging. They too must
be handled with concerns of rationalized fear, and not through baseless
anxiety. Even if there is just 5% risk, it must be taken seriously, and
approached logically.

I do not see it as being good or constructive to continue discussing this in
this thread, if you want, make a new thread and throw a link here, then I'll
follow and keep discussing with you for as long as I have free time to do so.
We're getting vastly off-topic here, in a thread which is about Qubes 4
release, we shouldn't talk more about this in this thread.