On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 3:02:53 PM UTC, cooloutac wrote:
> On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 10:48:22 AM UTC-4, yura...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I'm being honest man.  The only time we ever have to use the cli,  is if
> > > we forget to restart the sys-usb and shut it down by accident.   She has
> > > the command written on the wall to  alt-f2,  xterm,  qvm-start sys-usb.
> > > Only command we ever use on occasion, and thats only cause we using mouse
> > > proxy in the sys-usb.
> >
> > Honest or not, I believe you that this is sufficient for your needs. But
> > keep in mind other people use software differently, not everyone use it the
> > same way, or have the same needs for that matter.
> >
> > Some want quick changes, which can be done faster than terminal.
> >
> > Some prefer not to, or don't have time to, learn to use the terminal.
> >
> > People have different learning styles, which applies to use-cases too. Some
> > are much stronger graphically, while others don't need a visual overview.
> >
> > Saying "we" I'd ask you to define "we". When you say "some people", you can
> > refer to a group, and not everyone, without illegitimate people who are not
> > the same as you, or have different needs than you.
> >
> > This is an forever lasting problem in the culture of Linux where many
> > people think their needs mean the needs of everyone else must be the same.
> > Yet a big part of Linux's concept and philosophy is about having choice.
> > This is a paradox, the culture does not match what Linux is all about.
> >
> > We should respect that people have different needs, just because some
> > people don't have the needs, does not make the problem irrelevant.
> >
> > No offense meant at you. It's just overdue for a modern culture to grow out
> > of the old paradigms which are both very limited, and in stark contrast to
> > what Linux actually is about. Seeing the big picture, and not staying hyper
> > focused on the small details.
>
> I'm not asking to remove terminal,  not sure what you are going on about.
>
> The forever problem of linux,  is the self fulfilling prophecies from people
> who want to feel superior over others.   People want to give overly
> complicated solutions to simple problems to feel smart and feed their ego,
> they want to claim that linux is too complicated to use by noobs, and they
> end up keeping it down, which in their mind proves their point.   In reality,
> using linux nowadays is no different then using windows.  You don't need a
> commandline for anything in most major distros anymore either.  But it has
> that stigma already.
>
> I'm not using Qubes like some cool tech experiment, I don't think i'm a super
> computer genius for using it,   We = my family,  use it for practical
> everyday life like families use windows.
>
> If Qubes is not aimed at the average home user anymore, then fine, We'll move
> on.  More and more i wonder whats the point of using any o/s without secure
> boot anyways.   I just hope itl stops listening to people from the linux
> community, or else Qubes is not going to be much different.

ah, I somehow didn't manage to link your name to the different posts and read
into your single post regarding having few needs to use the Qubes Manager VM
GUI. I apologize for the misunderstanding, the fault is on my part there.

But that aside, it seems we largely agree, we need a statement whether Qubes is
still being designed for regular people, or if it's to remain to be for the
elite and business users. Not going to resent the Qubes team for such a move,
it would just be nice "knowing" so, exactly like you said, that we can move on.

If Qubes is not eventually meant for a choice to the masses, then I'm okay with
that too (albeit a bit sad). But we need knowing.

I also highly agree that we should leave hind the "elite" and feeling
"special", I agree with you there as well. It's not only tasteless, it's
scaring new Linux users away.

I don't think the core of Linux is about being superior, though some might make
it like that. But in times where large tech companies are growing stronger and
stronger, and democracies weaker and weaker, we really do need Linux now more
than ever, especially in the years to come, for freedom and democracy to
flourish. Software is increasingly lock-in and toxic, profiling and
anti-privacy, turning customers into money generating assets. Power is shifting
to centralized technology rather than decentralized technology. It's a huge
problem, one which will only become worse as the next few years (decades) go
on.

I rather not see Linux fail in giving freedom to the people, and most of all,
not because of some people wanting to feel "elite". So I'm definitely on the
same page as you, I apologize for the misunderstanding.