On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 11:23 AM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 01/07/2018 12:14 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 1:57 PM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > I did build PCs before, but that was literarly a life time ago (early
> > 2000's), and since then, I've been with laptops. I was aware of PCI-e
> > compatibility, but I did not know to what degree the difference in speed
> > might affect the GPU. Would a GTX 1080 work for instance?
> There is no real difference between 3.0 and 2.0 even with 4K, Crossfire
> and the latest cards so having v2.0 is fine.
> As I have stated before nvidia is a bad company and you shouldn't buy
> from them, they do not support owner-control, actively hinder linux
> driver development and VM gaming.

Good to know, thanks Taiidan. In that case, it's good that I got myself an
AMD Radeon HD 6950 (
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-HD-6950-2GB-GDDR5-PCIe-Video-Graphics-Card-Dell-PN-1643M/272894243766),
I'll use this one as primary, and I'll wait till the price of the Vega
comes down, I have my eye on RX Vega 64.

> Don't forget your board standoffs, and don't confuse the PCI-e power
> cables with EPS12V.
> Since it has been a long time you should brush up and watch some vids
> from reputable places, you gotta be careful considering how much $$$ you
> have spent :]

 Will do.

> >> Hey when you get this let me know if you need any help setting up VM
> >> gaming it is very difficult but very rewarding.
> >> One gotcha I have noticed is NUMA alignment, each 16 core CPU contains
> >> two NUMA nodes and performance will suffer greatly if things are not
> >> properly aligned (gets tricker in VM's too)

Are you talking about alignment of RAM? The KGPE-D16 specifies the RAM
order in the manual (
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketG34(1944)/KGPE-D16/Menual_QVL/E8847_KGPE-D16.pdf
page 2-17).

> >> I will definitely do that.
> I eagerly await your gaming benchmarks, there are several triple A games
> out there that support 16 cores and you must try them.
> >> TPM:
> >> I am not sure about TPM's I would call ASUS and ask for a board
> >> compatible part number.
> >>
> >> I might have to return the one I got then, it's a Gigabyte TPM module.
> Like I said call and ask asus what model number you need for the board.
>
> Ideally you could simply use whatever same-generation of TPM (board is
> v1.2 not v2.0) as it uses a simple LPC bus for communication but you
> might as well buy whatever asus tells you to so to avoid trouble.
> Coreboot devs tested with asus's infineon brand TPM.
> I assume you have bought a TPM 2.0, if so that definitely won't work.

I'm aware that Linux does not support TPM 2.0 so I did order a TPM v1.2.
I'll give ASUS a call to confirm it works.

>> Newegg Links:
> >> I can't view newegg links, you would have to find a OEM link to show me.
> >> I would get a 1KW PSU from a reputable company, like I said dual EPS12V,
> >> modular and japanese capacitors is what you want.
> >>

> > I got this one,
> https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-1000-X1
> I usually don't recommend evga as I don't like companies who sell both
> good and bad products (their lower end stuff is crappy) but that seems
> fine, good reviews japanese caps and a nice 10 year warranty.

>> Case Price - no more than $200 unless it includes nice front HDD hot
> >> swap bays - Don't use the PSU that comes with the case.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, it ended up closer to 400. I got this one
> > http://www.norcotek.com/product/rpc-4220/ it was difficult finding EEB
> > cases. Depending on the noise it makes, there's a braket that I can
> switch
> > in it to change the 4 80mm fans with 3 120mm fans. In anycase, I wanted a
> > case that has wide support for boards (CEB, EEB, ATX and mini ATX) so
> later
> > on I can update the components and not have to reinvenst in the case.
> Nice case, pricey but with an HBA or RAID card you can install all the
> drives you'll ever want.
> It has good reviews that mention the high quality, good choice!

Thanks.

> >> I would also get front drive bay HDD enclosures that have a fan
> >> otherwise your drives will get hot inside the case and be a pain to
> >> service.
> >>
> > this one does not have a fan, I'll add a braket if I see a need, but I
> > think it'll be alright with the 6 fans it has.
> Yeah you sure will, since the bays came with the case you won't need
> additional cooling as they have already taken care of that (with the
> assorted case fans)
>
> Send me links, titles, prices and used/new status for the rest of the
> stuff you got and I can look it over.

Sure, here's the same list with direct OEM links, BTW you can just use curl
to get the 302 location of the links without having to use the browser for
them :)

- Case: http://www.norcotek.com/product/rpc-4220/ new
- PSU: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-1000-X1 new
- Motherboard: KGPE-D16 new (opened box though) $270
- CPU: 2x
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-AMD-Opteron-6386-OS6386YETGGHK-16-Core-2-8GHz-Socket-G34-CPU-TQ1488/122885384670
$200 used
- CPU Cooling: 2x https://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NH-U12DO-A3/332385518775
new
- RAM:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-4X8GB-DDR3-1600MHz-ECC-REG-MEMORY-FOR-ASRock-EP2C602-4L-D16-SSI-EEB-Server/162349088753
$200 for 64Gb
- TPM: Gigabyte GC-TPM (can't find OEM link, but I have a feeling that I'll
be replacing it anyway).
- GPU:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-HD-6950-2GB-GDDR5-PCIe-Video-Graphics-Card-Dell-PN-1643M/272894243766
refurbished $70