On 01/08/2018 01:37 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 11:23 AM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:

On 01/07/2018 12:14 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 1:57 PM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:
I did build PCs before, but that was literarly a life time ago (early
2000's), and since then, I've been with laptops. I was aware of PCI-e
compatibility, but I did not know to what degree the difference in speed
might affect the GPU. Would a GTX 1080 work for instance?
There is no real difference between 3.0 and 2.0 even with 4K, Crossfire
and the latest cards so having v2.0 is fine.
As I have stated before nvidia is a bad company and you shouldn't buy
from them, they do not support owner-control, actively hinder linux
driver development and VM gaming.

Good to know, thanks Taiidan. In that case, it's good that I got myself an
AMD Radeon HD 6950 (
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-HD-6950-2GB-GDDR5-PCIe-Video-Graphics-Card-Dell-PN-1643M/272894243766),
I'll use this one as primary, and I'll wait till the price of the Vega
comes down, I have my eye on RX Vega 64.
I would have advised purchasing a lower power single slot fanless model for your primary video - as that is dual slot you will be wasting one of your PCI-e slots. You can still use that 760 and it would work fine, I just wouldn't buy any more nvidia cards.
Are you talking about alignment of RAM?
No. NUMA is software - look up NUMA alignment. This is generally automatic if you run numad in your OS - you only have to configure it if you are running for instance a gaming VM with libvirt.

Sure, here's the same list with direct OEM links, BTW you can just use curl
to get the 302 location of the links without having to use the browser for
them :)

- Case: http://www.norcotek.com/product/rpc-4220/ new
- PSU: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-1000-X1 new
- Motherboard: KGPE-D16 new (opened box though) $270
Open box is definitely worth it for that great price.
- CPU: 2x
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-AMD-Opteron-6386-OS6386YETGGHK-16-Core-2-8GHz-Socket-G34-CPU-TQ1488/122885384670
$200 used
- CPU Cooling: 2x https://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NH-U12DO-A3/332385518775
new
- RAM:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-4X8GB-DDR3-1600MHz-ECC-REG-MEMORY-FOR-ASRock-EP2C602-4L-D16-SSI-EEB-Server/162349088753
$200 for 64Gb
- TPM: Gigabyte GC-TPM (can't find OEM link, but I have a feeling that I'll
be replacing it anyway).
- GPU:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-HD-6950-2GB-GDDR5-PCIe-Video-Graphics-Card-Dell-PN-1643M/272894243766
refurbished $70