On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:23:10 PM UTC-5, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> On 12/29/2017 12:01 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
>
> >> I would buy the RAM and CPU off of ebay, there is no reason to pay $80/ea
> >> for that ram or $172 for a 6380 ($100 on ebay) you could get a 6386SE for
> >> that price. (needs 140W cooler FYI) No reason to get the "protection plan"
> >> for anything either its a waste of money.
> > That may be good advice, but there's another point of view. A couple
> > of decades back I worked in a computer store & saw many instances of a
> > pattern I found really irritating.
> >
> > As customer comes in and asks about prices on various things, comes
> > back & buys a CPU from me because we have it a bit cheaper than
> > elsewhere. He gets the board across the street since they are cheaper
> > for that & RAM in a third shop. He goes home, puts it all together &
> > it does not work. So, then he comes back to me claiming the CPU is
> > dead. Our technician pulls it out, tests in another board & says it is
> > fine. Now he wants us to make it work in his board & gets upset when I
> > tell him "fine, but we'll charge for the technician time to do that."
> > He storms off to hassle the people who sold him the board.
> >
> > Any of the stores where he got parts -- CPU, cooler, board & RAM --
> > would happily have sold him all four as an assembled & tested system
> > for not much more than he paid for his pile of parts. This would have
> > saved quite a bit of time for him & saved shop staff time &
> > irritation.
> Well hey now that you said that I think I am just going to throw away 10
> years of what works, maybe I will go buy some pre-built optiplex from
> dell and tell everyone else to do the same - after all for an extra
> twenty euro they will give you a "disabled" ME and I am sure the massive
> markup over parts cost is worth it for a "tested working properly"
> system right?
>
> What exactly are you trying to say here? That either one of us are
> idiots like the man in your example? Here we have you another guy who
> doesn't give real advice only criticizes others who do.

I think he is saying people get burned,  and I have had the same experience
when ordering online or buying used parts.  I wouldn't even think about
trusting ebay,  I don't even trust amazon for computer parts anymore.
 Tiger Direct has burned me more times than I can count.  I've gotten wrong
parts, parts that don't work.  Its a nightmare.

  Nowadays I only buy my parts from Microcenter directly off the shelf at the
store.  Or If its a hard to find item only "new" from newegg.com, verifying the
genuine sticker is in there,  or it goes back...

 sure maybe ram or the cpu will not be tampered with.  But what is the return
policy like on ebay when it doesn't work?  Forget about a damage claim if
something happens.

I agree there is no reason to buy a protection plan from a store.  But you
definitely want that manufacturer warranty.  Everything in my system has at
least 3 year warranty for peace of mind.