On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 1:57 PM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 01/04/2018 01:23 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
>
> > I read a bit more on M/B connectors and
> >
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153218&ignorebbr=1
> > has one EPS (8 pin) and one ATX (8 pin as well), so it's all good.
> >
> > Taiidan, what GPU do you use? The board has only a VGA, which is OK for
> > setting it up, but I want to run a 1080p widescreen (one, for now, more
> for
> > later. I have a GeForce GTX 760
> > <
> https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications
> >laying
> > around, would it work? It says required PCI-E 3 and the board has PCI-E 2
> > so probably not, but would be good to know.
> Hmm curious is this your first time building a PC? :0 I thought you had
> done this before? All PCI-e stuff is backwards and forwards compatible I
> would get this all set up before you buy a newer GFX card - that one
> will work fine for now.

I did build PCs before, but that was literarly a life time ago (early
2000's), and since then, I've been with laptops. I was aware of PCI-e
compatibility, but I did not know to what degree the difference in speed
might affect the GPU. Would a GTX 1080 work for instance?

> Hey when you get this let me know if you need any help setting up VM
> gaming it is very difficult but very rewarding.
> One gotcha I have noticed is NUMA alignment, each 16 core CPU contains
> two NUMA nodes and performance will suffer greatly if things are not
> properly aligned (gets tricker in VM's too)

I will definitely do that.

I got this one, https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-1000-X1

> Case Price - no more than $200 unless it includes nice front HDD hot
> swap bays - Don't use the PSU that comes with the case.
>
> Unfortunately, it ended up closer to 400. I got this one
http://www.norcotek.com/product/rpc-4220/ it was difficult finding EEB
cases. Depending on the noise it makes, there's a braket that I can switch
in it to change the 4 80mm fans with 3 120mm fans. In anycase, I wanted a
case that has wide support for boards (CEB, EEB, ATX and mini ATX) so later
on I can update the components and not have to reinvenst in the case.

> I would also get front drive bay HDD enclosures that have a fan
> otherwise your drives will get hot inside the case and be a pain to
> service.

this one does not have a fan, I'll add a braket if I see a need, but I
think it'll be alright with the 6 fans it has.