Installation went fine except for a libxenlight config error of some kind. I
still can't enable IOMMU using either of the approaches described in that
Ubuntu thread, even though it successfully worked with raw Linux.

What boot parameters did you add? I have the earlier rev.1 Sabertooth 990FX
mobo that you have.

I'm not sure there's much advantage in sticking to Qubes without the hardware
acceleration over a Linux distro I'm more familiar with that has virtualization
working. I can just use accelerated VirtualBox instead of accepting the PV
overheads for the workflows I have in mind, but I'd definitely like to use
Qubes if I can get this working.

Sandro