On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 06:10:49PM -0400, Josh French wrote:
>> I'm working on a pair of sites for a client that will be on two
>> subdomains and hosted on a shared host (Dreamhost). I thought the
>> multi-site extension would be ideal for that but have not yet figured
>> out how to do this under Phusion Passenger, the preferred Rails
>> deployment method at DH.
>
> To allow mod_rewrite, add this to your apache conf:
> RailsAllowModRewrite on

Cool. I assume that's how DH does it.

> Passenger's issue with mod_rewrite is that the default .htaccess
> supplied with Rails tries to funnel all requests through one of the
> dispatchers, so be sure to remove either the entire .htaccess file from
> /public, or remove everything but those parts you know you need (e.g.
> static caching, as Jay Levitt mentioned.)

That makes sense. I'm successfully using mod_rewrite but have removed
all the rewrites that would lead to "do forever" loops...

> However, we've successfully served multiple subdomains without resorting
> to mod_rewrite by defining each subdomain from within the multisite
> extension -- main.tld and sub.main.tld, both being served from a single
> Radiant instance. Is that your use case? Your question implies you've got
> a dev or preview domain that may need additional http authentication --
> that's also possible, but I don't want to confuse the issue if that's not
> your scenario.

I would like to put the dev subdomain under http auth, but otherwise the
scenario is as you describe. I'm still experimenting with how Radiant
works with Passenger on DH. If I find that simply using a single
instance works with no symlink subterfuge, I will report that. It seems
to me that serving multiple subdomains from a single instance would work
fine if I controlled the server (the httpd.conf, etc.)

Thanks!

Bill