I have never really grokked Capistrano. Casper's tutorial had too many "Log into your shell account and run this rake task" for my liking too, which seems to negate the value of Capistrano. In addition, most installations are fundamentally just creating the radiant app, configuring the database connections and installing extensions. It seems to me that you can just install that directly into your DH account.

I am thinking of putting together a "the bare minimum installation for DreamHost using Phusion" for the wiki but real work always seems to take precedence.

Adam