Any time you run Report Magic in an environment that has the CGI fingerprint, Report Magic will refuse to produce output to anything except STDOUT. So you are correct, the PHP exec will behave the same way. This is by design.

If you create a web page that provides the same kind of control to Report Magic that you have from the command line you can expose all kinds of security concerns that a malicious user could easily use to compromise your system. For safety Report Magic has been built to protect against the most obvious ones, particularly by limiting it's capabilities when running in a CGI environment.

The only way to get around this is to use the Perl source edition and modify the code. If you do this you should be aware of the security implications of your actions and take necessary precautions to secure your interface.

Jeremy Wadsack
Seven Simple Machines

Shai Herman wrote:

Is it possible to run report magic, not in cgi-mode via a browser, like iwth an exec command so that I could customize the file out location? I only used the CGI because I could not figure out a way to run report magic through php's exec (which I believe is by design as well).

Ideally I would have full control of report magic as I do in the command line, via a web interface. Is this possible? and how if so?

Jeremy Wadsack wrote:

Shai Herman wrote:

I have not been able to get into the mailing list for some reason and was seeking assistance. If ound your email online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you contact me off-list with any problems you had subscribing? Or elucidate further.

I have report magic 2.21 and Analog 6.0 on a windows 200 machine. I have this location set to a virtual directory over the network on a w2k box as well with IIS. I have set Full permissions for the time being, read write, exec. report magic 2.21 was installed using the windows distribution

Note that for some reason Perl has trouble reading over Windows shares. This is a known issue, but a resolution has yet to be found.

(that I noticed comes with no file).

It's in the source archive inside the distribution. You'll need to unzip to get to it.

My problem is that I can run report magic as a CGI by pointing to rmagic.exe not in the form action for rmform.html,

If you want to use the Perl version, then you should download the source and make sure Perl is installed on your system.

but I cannot File_out. Essentially I would like to save all these reports that I am producing, but I cannot even save one right now. I have tried hard coding the file_out in the ini file, but this seems to get overridden by the executable as well as using a <input type="hidden" name="File_Out" Value="[directory]"> parameter in a variety of ways but with no success. How can I save these reports??

This is by design. If this were allowed anyone could start changing the File_Out parameter (which, correctly would be reports_File_Out in the form elements) and overwrite files on your system or fill up your hard drive. When running in CGI environment, Report Magic will only write reports to STDOUT (which web servers redirect to the browser).