On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Daniel López wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That would be me reporting :). Yeah, the different port in the end
> was a
> miunderstading, but had nothing to do with the bug itself. I have been
> unable/unwilling to try to reproduce it, as the machines where it
> happens is the production server itself, so I cannot do my tests
> there.

Ok.  I'd certainly not recommend reproducing this in production :)

> The situation when it would happen goes like this: A database has gone
> wild and causes some web apps in a JVM to be stuck, I try to stop the
> resin instance but it doesn't, as I can see the O.S. process still
> lying
> there. I kill it hard with kill -9 and the O.S. process is gone. After
> that, I try to start the instance and the watchdog process refuses
> saying that 'server X is already running'. After that I am unable to
> start the server unless I kill all the instances and the watchdog and
> start them all over again.

Thanks.  I've added that description to the bug.

> If the watchdog process communicates with the instances through a TCP
> port and it believes an instance is running... does the watchdog
> process
> communicate with the instances to see if they are running?

The OS tells the watchdog when the child dies.  Since it's the parent
process of the Resin instance, it has some extra, direct
information.   So it's unrelated to the socket.

Currently, the watchdog doesn't know if the child has frozen, since
that's not an OS state.  From the point of view of the watchdog, a
frozen child is still alive.  (Eventually, we'll add some kind of ping
capability.)

The specific problem seems to be a state-management one.
   1) If you kill a child, the watchdog will detect that and restart a
new instance
   2) But, if the watchdog's stop fails, it's possible the state
becomes something unmanageable.  (I don't see how that's happening,
but that matches the symptoms.)