Static file serving, perhaps?  I don't know the current benchmarks but
Apache has always had the reputation of being very fast for static
files, whereas that's not what resin is optimized for.

I say this from the POV of not using Apache at all, though: we use
resin behind HAProxy for load balancing, and a lighttpd instance for
image files.

Rachel