SK Suh wrote:
> Am shopping for a DAT drive replacement for our aging Dynatek DDS-1
> (or -2?) unit for archival use. This DAT would be attached to an
> older beige Power Macintosh G3 and would be writing data from a local
> hard drive, not over the network.
> Ideally I'd like to be able to utilize newer, faster and
> higher-capacity media while retaining backwards read/write capability
> with our massive library of 60 and 90 metre DAT media.
> Would DDS-4 be worthwhile despite the price, higher media costs and
> limited backwards compatibility, especially given its improved
> performance? Otherwise, would it make more sense to consider a proven
> DDS-3 solution?

DDS-4. I'd suggest getting rid of the 60-Meter tapes and re-writing the
data onto longer tapes. Are you keeping the catalogs as well as the
tapes? Are these tapes archives or backups?

Best Regards,

Chuck Hornish, KF6YBC
Narnia Information Systems, Inc.
Fountain Valley, California 92708 USA

Voice: 714-963-7742      FAX: 714-593-5808

Delivering precisely defined database solutions since 1992.