Am shopping for a DAT drive replacement for our aging Dynatek DDS-1
(or -2?) unit for archival use. This DAT would be attached to an
older beige Power Macintosh G3 and would be writing data from a local
hard drive, not over the network.

Ideally I'd like to be able to utilize newer, faster and
higher-capacity media while retaining backwards read/write capability
with our massive library of 60 and 90 metre DAT media.

Would DDS-4 be worthwhile despite the price, higher media costs and
limited backwards compatibility, especially given its improved
performance? Otherwise, would it make more sense to consider a proven
DDS-3 solution?

Stephen K. Suh
Network R&D + Admin                                 Tel 613/228-0250
Studio Colour Group                                 Fax 613/228-0254
6 Gurdwara Rd., Suite 105
Nepean, ON K2E 8A3 Canada                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]