>>* DAT Tape drive - DDS3 or DDS4 attached to a PowerMac 7300,
>>probably Sony (or LaCie which I think uses a Sony mechanism), no
>>particular reason to go with Sony.
>>* Retrospect 4.3 with clients on each of the Macs.
>I've had a lot of problems with the Tape changer put out by Sony.
>The one I have is 8 tapes (or 7+cleaning, but Retrospect for Mac
>doesn't support cleaning tape!!)

I have a Sony (APS) DDS Autoloader Unit TSL-S9000L for almost a year,
connected to a B/W G3 with OS 9.0.4 backing up only Macs.  Never have
been able to figure out how to get it to backup the  3 PCs that we
have.  I have not had any problems with it.  Retrospect told me that
a future upgrade will support the cleaning tape but until then I just
put the cleaning tape in slot 8 when I need to clean the heads.

>I use to back up about 60 Macs using two DDS3 tape changers by Sony.
>That got to be way to much of a burden because of tape hassles, Tape
>Changer problems.  I used nothing but Sony tapes in these units as
>the Maxell, HP, and other brands had an average tape failure of 1 in

clip . . .

* * * * * * * * * * * THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY * * * * * * * * * * *
Graduate School                         Richard (Dick) Hassler
247 University Hall                     Systems Administrator/Analyst
230 N. Oval Mall                        Phone:  614-292-9859
Columbus, OH  43210-1366                FAX:    614-292-3656