Using linux, it's easy. I use OpenBSD, which has no support for smbfs, so I
must use Sharitylight. With linux, just make sure you have smbfs support in
the kernel, and mount an NT share with smbmount.

Then, you can run something like this:

cd /
tar cvfz /mnt/network-backup-server/nightly-backup.tgz etc/ home/ usr/ var/

Or something along those lines. /mnt/network-backup-server is where you
mounted the remote NT server. Make a script that does that, and stick it in
cron. To preserve permissions, just make sure you use the -p flag when you
untar it. Simple as pie!

--Doug