At 9:53 AM +0200 9/14/00, jakob krabbe wrote:
>Discussed on this list earlier:
>Run retrospect server on portables during day and stationaries dyring night
>where backup source = VXA.
>If I change tape in the morning, doesn't the recykled nigh backup overwrite
>the portables!?
>Maybe I'm better off changing the tape at night after the portables have
>been backed up but before the nighshift starts?

That is what I do. I have a "laptop backup" tape that runs off a
backup server from 9:00 to 3:00, then at 3:00 I switch to my nightly
backup tape (changes depending on the night, and the week).

And yes, if you're backing up everything to one tape, and recycling
it, then you are erasing what the server did during the day.

Julia Frizzell
User Consultant/Analyst
The Education Alliance
Northeast and Islands Regional Educational Laboratory at Brown University
222 Richmond Street, Suite 300
Providence, Rhode Island  02903-4226
401.274.9548 x311 or 800.521.9550 x311
401.421.7650 (fax)